Tropes. I can think of so many unique books that take tropes and make them unique and interesting. Here are five of my favorite tropes, along with two to three book recommendations for each:
5. Mutual Pining
It’s painful to wait for the next book to see if two characters get together. However, I love this realistic point of view because I would never admit my feelings for someone until it would be too late/the night before a major battle if I was a fictional character in a fantasy world. I love seeing this in:
- THE GILDED WOLVES by Roshani Chokshi: This was one of my top 5 books of 2020. Literally all of the people I want to be together just pine and there’s no acting on it (read: in TGW at least). If I could tell Enrique and Zofia and Hypnos something, it would be to just sit down and talk. You’re literally so young; you don’t have to save the world if you don’t want to.
- A SONG OF WRAITHS AND RUIN by Roseanne A. Brown: Malik and Karina. Take a break from scheming to kill each other and have a nice chat, please : ) I just want them to be together and they won’t admit it (although they kind of do by scheming to kill each other in a way, so).
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY by Sandhya Menon: This is my favorite book in the Dimpleverse and all of them are amazing. Pinky and Samir have such a great dynamic even when there are challenges in their relationship. They thought of each other A LOT, and I was just waiting for [redacted] to happen.
4. Powerful girls who know their worth.
I see people saying, “X character could step on me,” and I never really said that until I met Kallia and Juliette:
- THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS by Chloe Gong: All I’ll say is that Juliette Cai never stopped fighting for what and maybe who she wanted during TVD. All the way until that ending : ) I love her and Gong is a genius. Juliette is a fighter, and I loved that she never let anyone tell her otherwise.
- WHERE DREAMS DESCEND by Janella Angeles: Kallia. Wow. She has the best style and words, and I love her as well. She shows off and has no regrets about her choices. Kallia could lead me into battle.
3. Enemies to lovers
This might be my favorite romance trope: I love seeing it in fantasy novels.
- WE HUNT THE FLAME by Hafsah Faizal: I cannot wait to see Zafira and Nasir in We Free the Stars. Their dynamic!! Oh my gosh. Certain scenes in WHTF really made me feel things.
- THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT by Swati Teerdhala: Esha and Kunal are two of my favorite characters ever. The chase in TTAM makes sense while also building the world and the conflict, and that’s why I loved every single interaction Esha and Kunal have. Their relationship is very complicated and what The Archer At Dawn did to me? I could write a whole essay on that topic.
2. Journey to find a specific object
I LOVE JOURNEY/QUEST BASED NOVELS! Especially when it’s about restoring magic, which can be done so well.
- WE HUNT THE FLAME (again): While this book is definitely at a slower pace, I love the journey and how it involves the growth of the characters. I also thought the multiple POVs and players involved in the quest made the story a lto more interesting, and I can’t wait to see what Hafsah does in WFTS.
- THE NEVER TILTING WORLD by Rin Chupeco: Odessa and Haidee have to restore their world. Also, they’re godesses. The ending of TNTW surprised me and I cannot wait to see what happens next. The sisters have very different quests, yet Chupeco is able to tie all of these facets together to create one of my favorite books of 2019.
1. Battle pair
This can be either two friends or two people who are romantically involved! I just found out about this trope a few days ago, and it took me a while to think of books that fit this trope.
- GIRLS OF STORM AND SHADOW by Natasha Ngan: Wren and who she fights with? Oh my gosh. Wren is one of the most powerful characters, and she grows so much!! I love that she trains Lei. #LeiandWrenbacktogether2021!!!
- WE UNLEASH THE MERCILESS STORM by Tehlor Kay Mejia: Dani and Carmen!! Dani and Carmen fighting together!! I forgot what happened in the first book and that’s ok because the action scenes with these two are amazing and I would 100% read a short story about the aftermath of this book.
- A SKY BEYOND THE STORM by Sabaa Tahir: Laia and Elias NEED TO FIGHT TOGETHER!! I only remember them supporting each other in ATATN and I miss them together!!! I know Tahir will break my heart with this book, but it’s ok. AEITA fandom is about to rise and I cannot wait to see Laia and Elias hopefully do the same.