Hello everyone!! I am currently reading We Free the Stars by Hafsah Faizal. I thought it would be fun to do a reaction post of my thoughts and emotions while reading this book. I am taking this idea from Epic Reads: An Ember in the Ashes live read is one example. It was such an honor to be a part of the Zumra, and I’m so happy this book is in the world. Warning: there will be spoilers for the entire book. Again, there will be spoilers. Also, I will be starting from about 12% into this book.
- Absoultely devastated that Ummi is dead and Zafira and Lana’s village is destroyed.
- Why would the village be attacked?
- I wonder how Zafira feels/what her interactions with Nasir will be.
- “There was always more to lose.” Nooooo, I really hope there’s a happy ending for the Zumra.
- I wonder how Lana will react to the Jawarat.
- “I can be lots of fun, Zafira.”
- “You seem to have no trouble being the end of me.”
- Hafsah Faizal is really good at balancing actions and descriptions. I can’t wait to see more of the Great Library.
- “Tears aren’t a measure of heart. We grieve in different ways.”
- I like that Zafira and Nasir are having a heart to heart conversation. It’s nice to see them let down their guard now that they’ve journeyed together.
- Love seeing Kifah’s interaction with the team.
- I’m interested in seeing more of the House of Dreams.
- I think Zafira’s relationship with the book is the most intriguing aspect so far.
- A vision.
- What is happening?!
- Maybe the hilya will play a role in Hafsah Faizal’s next series?
- This world building is so immersive and immense. I think WFTS will be even better than WHTF. The characters seem to be moving around a lot, which I like. – Chapter 14
- Love that Nasir is opening up to friends.
- “What was next?” Yeah, what IS NEXT, NASIR?
- Kifah and Nasir are not just allies, they are friends.
- Also love seeing Zafira and Lana’s relationship.
- Nasir is a poet.
- So the Lion is Altair’s father.
- I really can’t tell what Altair’s fate will be.
- Pausing at chapter 17 – 2.24.21. I really like this book so far! I feel like WHTF set up a lot of everything that’s happening now. I like the fact that we’re seeing the characters interact more with the world outside of each other.
- How did the Lion get there?
- They are definitely pining.
- “It was quite something, to be the cause of another’s joy. To be the pride of someone’s eye, if only for a fleeting moment.”
- So since Altair and Nasir are related, I wonder when we’ll see Nasir’s powers?
- I love Kifah and Zafira’s friendship.
- I appreciate that Deem is still mentioned.
- Oh my gosh.
- I would 100% buy a graphic novel of WHTF and WFTS.
- Now I’m really interested in seeing if/how Nasir uses his power.
- The world has expanded so much in terms of where Zafira is traveling.
- “Already wearing the crown, I see.”
- “I’m not either,” Zafira said, looking away with a barely restrained groan.
- Already fighting?
- Another daama!
- Oh no. Zafira shouldn’t have to give up her Baba’s dagger.
- Oh my gosh.
- Oh my gosh.
- So Altair was unifying the kingdom – what will happen at the end to his relationship w/ Nasir?
- “He was alone without her, a soul-deep desolation. Drifting in a world where no one really saw him.”
- Faizal is one of my all time favorite writers.
- “She didn’t think it was possible to stand footsteps away and miss him even more.” I hope Zafira and Nasir talk soon.
- Dreamwalk. Interesting.
- They’ve found the Lion’s hideout!
- An arrow!!!! Noooo!!!
- So much is happening.
- “. . .her fingers brushed his, warmth tangling for the briefest of moments.”
- The tension between Zafira and Nasir.
- I hope Altair gets out of there soon.
- “She laughed, and his heart leaped at the sound.”
- I’m so ready to see this world come to life in the TV adaptation.
- I think a book about Altair before WHTF would be interesting.
- Ok finally Altair and Nasir are back together.
- “and unleashed her arrow, knowing it was her last.” WHAT.
- “His compass. His queen. His life.” My heart, oh my gosh.
- I do not accept this.
- OMG Yasmine and Zafira are reunited!!!!
- Love the fact sisters play such an intergral role in this book. Zafira and Lana’s relationship is so great to see.
- Zafira and Nasir are reunited!!!!
- Chapter 70.
- Zafira’s character development and journey is so amazing.
- Oh my gosh.
- “He bit back a smile at her flustered attempt to act unflustered.”
- “Let me be your everything.”
- “Sweet snow, this was going to be some journey.”
- So much has happened and I don’t want this book to end.
- The Silver Witch is back.
- “. . .I do love a challenge.”
- The Great Library is on fire!!
- PART THREE: THE END OF THE BEGINNING.
- OH MY GOSH!!!
- This Nasir and Altair team-up is one of my favorite parts so far.
- Nasir gives his crown to Altair!!!
- “Why be one of nine when I can be the one?” Kifah is one of my favorite characters of all time!!!
- It’d be interesting to see a story about Qismah.
- ZAFIRA IS BACK!!!
- “I hear Sarasin is in need of a calipha.”
- “And to think, once upon a time, Nasir Ghameq, Caliph of Sarasin and Crown Prince of Arawiya, had wished he could feel nothing at all.”
Oh my gosh. We Free the Stars is my second five star read of 2021. I am so happy with how this duology ended and I now want to go back and re-read it again. I’ll probably be writing a review soon, but here are my top three favorite moments in the meantime: Zafira and Kifah traveling together, Zafira using the Jawarat, and when Zafira comes back at the end.
2 thoughts on “Thoughts I Had While Reading We Free the Stars by Hafsah Faizal – SPOILERS”
Thank you for including my post in your post!! I will definitely be checking out some of the other ways to format reviews because I’m trying to improve my skills.