Hey everyone!! This month, I read 24 new books. 6 less than last month and the same amount I read in May, which is a pretty good accomplishment because I had my academic summer program for four weeks in July. (I hope I did well because it was my last summer.) So far, I’ve read 107 books.Here’s what I read in July and my goals for August, as well as some of my favorite IG posts.
CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR: We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
“Beneath the beat of the sun, all he saw was the starkness of her skin and the sharp cut of her lips. But last night, beneath the glow of the moon, that skin had coaxed and those lips had beckoned. They still do.” – Nasir’s thoughts, pgs 294 to 295
Books I Read (bold = author is new to me, italisized = re-read)
- Everthing that Burns by Gita Trelease – started in June
- Blackout by Angie Thomas, Dhonielle Clayton, Ashley Woodfolk, Nicola Yoon, Nic Stone, and Tiffany D. Jackson – FAVORITE
- Hurricane Summer by Asha Bromfield – FAVORITE
- Witchshadow by Susan Dennard – Least favorite
- The Archer at Dawn by Swati Teerdhala – FAVORITE
- We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal – FAVORITE
- She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan – FAVORITE
- Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao – FAVORITE
- Dial A For Aunties by Jesse Q. Sutanto – FAVORITE
- A Chorus Rises by Bethany C. Morrow – FAVORITE
- Every Body Shines edited by Cassandra Newbould
- What’s Not to Love by Emily Wibberly and Austin Siegemund-Broka – Least favorite
- The Chariot at Dusk by Swati Teerdhala – FAVORITE
- Blood Like Magic by Liselle Sambury – FAVORITE
- The Marvelous by Claire Kann
- A Universe of Wishes edited by Dhonielle Clayton
- Take Me Home Tonight by Morgan Matson – Least favorite
- Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry by Joya Goffney – FAVORITE
- Gearbreakers by Zoe Hana Mikuta – an almost 100% new FAVORITE but some things could be improved
- Rise to the Sun by Leah Johnson – FAVORITE
- Darling by K. Ancrum
- Jay’s Gay Agenda by Jason June
- Radha and Jai’s Recipe for Romance by Nisha Sharma – FAVORITE
- XOXO by Axie Oh – FAVORITE
- Off the Record by Camryn Garrett – FAVORITE
- The Right Side of Reckless by Whitney D. Grandison
Overall, 14/24 books I read were new favorites!! That’s about 60%. I didn’t like Witchshadow because the plot was all over the place and some parts seemed unecessary/there were a lot of POVs. I know this series is very popular, but it just didn’t land for me. And What’s Not to Love seemed so interesting, but I really feel like I want to read more rom-coms with people of color. Xoxo and Radha and Jai’s Recipe for Romance made up for What’s Not to Love.
I also did a buddy read with @sagarific and @yourlocalbookreader!! It was super fun and you all should definitely follow both of them. We read Iron Widow and it was super engaging and the ending. Oh my gosh.
Finally, if you read five books from this list (cries in I can’t choose but I will for now), read Blood Like Magic, Dial A For Aunties, and The Tiger at Midnight trilogy, and Off the Record, and Rise to the Sun.
I hope to read seven books and have my TBR! I also am hoping to finish my e-ARCs of Our Violent Ends by Chloe Gong and When Night Breaks by Janella Angeles!! I also got an e-ARC of The Red Palace by June Hur. Furthermore, I hope to post more reels this month.
As for non bookish/slightly bookish goals. . .
- I want to finish my commonapp essay. I have a second draft. If anyone else is applying, please message me and I’d love to talk about college. Also, narrow my college list/do more research.
- Rewatch some shows.
- Relax!!! My academic program was super fun but I also like having unstructured time.
- Hangout with friends. Hanging out in person is different than seeing someone through a screen.
- Start planning for Model United Nations. It’s my last year and I really hope in person conferences will happen.
- Get 10 people to read How We Fall Apart by Katie Zhao – it’s one of my favorites of this year!!
My Favorite Posts of July
- This from May – https://foreverandeverly.wordpress.com/2021/07/31/personalized-book-recommendations/
- This from Kate – https://yourtitakate.com/wikathon-recommendations-2021/ – can’t wait for Wikathon!!
- This from Prutha – https://moonchildlexicons.wordpress.com/2021/07/26/she-who-became-the-sun-arc-review-a-book-that-will-break-you/